Claudia’s Closet is an organization that was set up in memory of our school nurse, Claudia Bigelow. She was tragically killed in an automobile accident on March 30, 2003.
The Claudia’s Closet organization provides students in the Sherburne-Earlville School District with clothing needs they may have. Through this fund, we focus mainly on providing winter wear and sneakers to children in need throughout our district. We work closely with the Church Mission Project at Christmas time, though parents can call the Elementary Office any time if their S-E child has a specific need.
This organization runs on the help of the community. Thank you so much for all of the generous donations this year, whether it was clothing or monetary. Our students are very lucky to be in a district where the community cares so much about them and this program.
Currently our closet is OVERFLOWING with clothing we can’t use, but we have found we are lacking in other needed areas. We thought it might be helpful to tell you, more specifically, what we need.
Please view the list below for our exact needs. If anyone has a question about whether their donation is needed, please ask. We don’t have space for all of the wonderful extras that are graciously being donated.
Items can be sent to the Elementary Office labeled Claudia’s Closet. As always, checks can be made out to Sherburne-Earlville Central School with Claudia’s Closet written in the memo area. Checks should be sent to Arlene Wade, c/o Sherburne-Earlville School District, 15 School Street, Sherburne, NY 13460.
Our specific needs are:
* Waterproof gloves/mittens (school-age students and adults)
* Boots (mostly men’s and women’s sizes 6-and-up, but will take anything gently used or new)
* Adult winter coats (no space for spring/fall jackets, sweatshirts, etc.)
* Sneakers in all sizes from school-age through adult (new or gently used, please)
We do not need:
* Knitted items
* Hats, scarves
* Shoes, dress boots, hiking boots
* Pants, shirts, shorts, skirts, pajamas, sweaters, etc.
Note: These items are needed on such a limited basis that it’s simply easier to purchase them than to store them.
Thank you again for your generosity and understanding,
- Claudia’s Closet Committee, Amanda Collins and Teri Currie